The main story of 8 beat Story is unlocked based on the number of songs a player has played. It's split into several chapters, which each have about ten fairly short sub-stories in them.
A backstory also exists on the game's app/play store, which provides a substantial amount of context for the storyline.
Backstory[edit | edit source]
The introduction of an independent music-making AI called "MOTHER" rapidly changed the development of music. And "MOTHER" wasn't only making songs either - in the search for beautiful singing and dancing 'performers', personified "androids" were made.
Furthermore, in order for MOTHER to choose the best performers, teams competed in musical battles ("virtual lives") within an online virtual space.
8 years after the virtual lives began, an exhibition performance on the internet got people all around the world excited for them. Both androids and humans participated as performers, but in 2029 the androids' massive amounts of progress would make it difficult for the humans to achieve victory.
Now, one of MOTHER's researchers fears that MOTHER and the androids are taking control of all music. To fight against the androids and their music, the researcher assembled some members and opened "Otonomori Academy".
3 years since the school opened, girls who love music have gathered at Otonomori Academy. Here, 8 girls are determined to compete in virtual lives. However, determination alone won't grant them victory against the music performed by androids. So these sweet girls can grow to adulthood, a once-student who is becoming teacher this year (the player) is appointed a staff role at Otonomori Academy.
Main Story Chapters[edit | edit source]
Chapter 1 - First Time at Otonomori Academy[edit | edit source]
(Ja: 音の杜学園での初体験, Rom.: otonomori gakuen de no hatsutaiken)
- From today on, I'm a teacher (Ja: 今日から『先生』に, Rom.: kyō kara "sensē" ni)
- The birth of a new member!? (Ja: 新メンバーの誕生！？, Rom.: shin menbā no tanjō!?)
- What's important is the feeling (Ja: 大事なのはフィーリング, Rom.: daiji na no wa fīringu)
- Let's see what you can do (Ja: お手並み拝見, Rom.: otenami haiken)
- A 'beat manager'? (Ja: ビートマネージャーって？, Rom.: bīto manējā tte?)
- A burden? (Ja: 足手まとい？, Rom.: ashitematoi?)
- It's gonna be tough (Ja: 前途多難, Rom.: zento tanan)
- We could always find a replacement (?????) (Ja: 代わりはいっぱいいるから, Rom.: kawari wa ippai iru kara)
- Supporting relationships (Ja: 支え合う仲, Rom.: sasaeau naka)
- Understanding them one at a time (Ja: 一人ひとりを理解すること, Rom.: hitori hitori o rikai suro koto)
- Normal high school girls (Ja: 普通の女子高生, Rom.: futsū no joshi kōsē)
- A cute face (Ja: かわいい一面, Rom.: kawaii ichimen)
- Isn't it nice when we're all together? (Ja: みんな一緒がいいね, Rom.: minna issho ga ii ne)
- Showing appreciation (Ja: 認めてあげるわ, Rom.: mitomete ageru wa)
Chapter 2 - The Significance of Fighting, for the Chosen Reasons[edit | edit source]
(?) (Ja: 選ばれた理由戦いの意味, Rom.: erabareta riyū tatakai no imi)
- Mei's secret (Ja: メイの秘密, Rom.: mei no himitsu)
- Dorm entry requirements (Ja: 入寮条件, Rom.: nyūryō jōken)
- Chosen performers (Ja: 選ばれたパフォーマー, Rom.: erabareta pafōmā)
- Amplification power (Ja: 増幅する力, Rom.: zōfuku suru chikara)
- It has to be you, teacher (Ja: 先生じゃなきゃダメ, Rom.: sensē janakya dame)
- Is this trust? (Ja: これが信頼？, Rom.: kore ga shinrai?)
- We can't afford to lose (Ja: 負けるわけにはいかない, Rom.: makeru wakeniwaikanai)
- The significance of beating the androids (Ja: アンドロイドに勝つ意味, Rom.: andoroido ni katsu imi)
- A dream we'll unconditionally keep (Ja: 絶対に守りたい夢, Rom.: zettai ni mamoritai yume)
Chapter 3 - Shinrai ga Unda Kiseki[edit | edit source]
Chapter 4 - Watashi-tachi ni Shika Dekinai Koto[edit | edit source]
Chapter 5 - Aidoru datte Futsū no Joshi Kōsē[edit | edit source]